Monday, August 1, 2011

John Hughes

   Gone are the days of geeky guys with jock straps on their heads and borrowing a pair of girls underpants for 10 minutes.
   I was born in 1978, so I remember the eighties: E.T., Jaws III, Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club...
   These movies always put a smile on my face, but none other than John Hughes films.
   Pretty in Pink is my all time favorite movie. I love how he was able to show the differences in social classes and the epic struggles between the rich and poor and how love conquers all.
   Most romances today consist of cheesy lines and totally absurd situations that don't flavor my movie pallet. In the time of Pretty in Pink I was a child and grew up watching that movie so often I memorized the lines. I know many of you did the same thing...don't judge me. : )
   But come on!!! Didn't you ever dream of a guy like Jake Ryan waiting for you across the street and kissing you over sixteen burning candles? Or the feeling justice seeing Stef (James Spader-Pretty in Pink) finally get his?
   What happened to these characters?
   I think I know...
   John Hughes is no longer here to right wrongs, expose social issues.
   Some Kind of Wonderful is one that's on the top of my list of faves. The Breakfast Club? Who can forget Judd Nelson holding onto that diamond earring and shoving his fist in the air?
   John Hughes took with him a legacy of memorable movies and an ache in our hearts for the days of the eighties.
   So rest in peace Mr. Hughes...Hope you're writing us more stories for the hereafter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8wSwdv-S2k


No comments:

Post a Comment