Friday, March 18, 2011

On Writer's Block

   There always comes a point in every writer's life when they eventually hit a brick wall. Lately, I've been asked this question over and over again. How do you work through writer's block?
   Here is my take on it.
   When I get up in the morning, whichever character I am thinking of, is the one I usually write about. I  work on more than one manuscript simultaneously because it gives me the freedom to basically come and go as I please. If I stay on one manuscript too long, I end up losing my focus and (as I write next to a window with a pack of smokes and a cup of tea or cold soda next to me at all times) end up watching birds as they wrestle their way through the sometimes heavy South Texas winds.
   I am not claiming to be a master of the craft by any means, but because I write as much as I can everyday, I've found that with that comes learning experiences. You might find yourself picking up on better plot lines, figuring out that marketing is important BEFORE you begin writing your book. You might also learn that taking the time to figure out where your book will be placed on the shelf of a bookstore, should it get published, is important because you can be sure that what you are writing is worth an agent's/publisher's time and attention. I spend most of my time surfing the Internet for answers to many of my questions. Sometimes, this leads me to another idea.
   So, my way of coping with writer's block is to just, well...write. If at a certain point you feel overwhelmed with your story, then stop, take a breather and work on something totally different. It helps to "clear the clutter" and when you are ready, you will come back to your story with renewed interest and a fresh look at anything your characters are lacking. Maybe even a new idea on their persona or interests.
   There is something you have to remember, though. Every person is different. Some may use different methods to clear out the clutter and others just give up all together. Personally, I prefer using my method. I hope this has been helpful.
   Happy Writing!
   -C.

No comments:

Post a Comment